[Savannah-hackers] submission of Athena (aka Athena OS, or AtheOS) - sav

From: zeratul2
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Athena (aka Athena OS, or AtheOS) - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:11:18 -0400

Robert Millan <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License: note that the kernel and kernel-related utilities are GPL
licensed, but the Glibc sysdeps extensions are LGPLed for obvious reasons.

Package: Athena (aka Athena OS, or AtheOS)
System name: athena
Type: non-GNU

Athena (also known as Athena OS, or AtheOS [1]) is a UN*X-like kernel
developed by Kurt Skauen. The kernel has a monolithic dessign and although its
written with BeOS API in mind it's capable of running most of the GNU system
(including Glibc and GNU userland) on top of it.

[1] Since it is actualy a kernel i opt for avoiding the term "AtheOS" and call
it using the long form "Athena".

The project was originaly hosted at http://www.atheos.cx/, but unfortunately,
Kurt (the only project maintainer) completely stopped development on it some
time ago. He didn't give CVS access to anyone
else so Athena's development is completely stalled now.

Forks of his project that take completely different directions have been
started. For example, one of them ported Athena to run on top of the kernel
Linux. I don't intend this project at Savannah as a fork but rather as the
means to restore CVS access so that the Athena project doesn't get stalled. I'm
confident that the Athena developers will prefer to participate by using
Savannah's facilities rather than
letting their project die.

I intend to use this Savannah project for development of the kernel Athena, but
also the kernel-related utilities (for example, Glibc extensions for Athena, or
kernel-specific utils like "top", "mount", etc).

I don't have intention, though, for using Savannah's project for creating an
Athena-based OS or distribution (i know it's not allowed). Whenever I want to
do that i'll do it somewhere else, probably in Debian.

URLs:

project site:
  http://www.atheos.cx/
binaries of Athena-based (GNU) system:
  http://www.atheos.cx/download/list.php3?current+base
0.3.7 release sources:
  http://www.atheos.cx/download/list.php3?current+src
CVS repository:
  http://www.atheos.cx/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/

Other Software Required:
none, although it needs the GNU C library and GNU userland for being usable and
self-hosting.

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/