[Savannah-hackers] submission of Ruffle - Ruby-base Music Shuffle Player

From: luterac
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Ruffle - Ruby-base Music Shuffle Player - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:52:18 -0400

Adam Luter <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Ruffle - Ruby-base Music Shuffle Player
System name: ruffle
Type: non-GNU

http://c3.ath.cx/~gryn/ruffle/ruffle-0.4.0.tar.bz2

Ruffle is a Ruby/Ncurses based music player.  It is fully functional and
learns the user's preferences for good and bad songs automatically (determined
by skip/not-skip for each song play).

However Ruffle is released dead (as far as the only developer [me], is
concerned), because on my small 400mhz Celeron it is too much of a CPU and
memory hog.  Also the Ruby language does not have real threads so it is easy
for Ruffle to skip even though it is "multi-threaded".

Ruffle is replaced by Squash a C-based version.  Ruffle does contain a nice
windowing engine and good example code for ! people looking to try this sort of
project on their own.

Other Software Required:
Ruffle depends on several ruby libraries.  These are included in the tar ball
because they are small and the site they came from is in Japanese and hard to
read (unless you know Japanese).

Other Comments:
I plan on releasing Squash now too.  Squash has all the functionality that
ruffle has but much smaller footprint.  Also it has a niffty text-based
spectrum analyser!  Squash will (hopefully soon) also allow you to tweak the
playlist, instead of just being on automatic pilot all the time.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/