[Savannah-hackers] submission of Stellio Game Library - savannah.gnu.org

From: bindej
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Stellio Game Library - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:52:08 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Jeff Binder <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Stellio Game Library
System name: stellio
Type: GNU

Stellio is a collection of C++ classes and functions for use in computer games.
 It includes code that is of use to most any game, including 2D and 3D games of
all genres.  The ultimate goal is to help Free Software game developers produce
games with all of the flashy technologies seen in commercial games by providing
Free implementations of these technologies.

It includes an interface system than can manage event dispatching and user
interfaces, although unrelated parts of the library can be used without it.
The rest of the library is largely divided into modules, one for each task.

Some notable features that are already implemented include:

  - An extensible, game-centric user interface system

  - OpenGL-based text rendering and editing capabilities

  - Collision detection algorithms

  - 3D terrain system supporting heightmaps and fractal terrain generation
(this is not working at the moment and will be rewritten)

  - High score management system

  - An easy-to use, efficient rendering engine featuring support for real-time
shadows

  - A simple to use system for game pathfinding (finding the route from point a
to point b in the game world)

  - A system for maintaining modules of images and other resources, including
dependancies and a built-in wrapper for the Guile module system

A somewhat rough, but working version can be downloaded here:
http://home.fuse.net/obvious/stellio.tar.bz2

A test program for the library:
http://home.fuse.net/obvious/testapp.tar.bz2

Other Software Required:
libsdl and an implementation of OpenGL are required. 3D acceleration is highly
recommended.

Support for libtiff and Guile is available, but optional.

Other Comments:
Note that the terrain class will not compile at this time.  I intend to rewrite
it from scratch.  I've removed it from the Makefile.am for now.

This project has already been hosted on sourceforge.net, but is being moved
here because of Sourceforge's apparent abandonment of free software and the
declining quality of their CVS servers.  The version in CVS there is very old
and a lot of work has been done since then.

Also, the license is being changed from LGPL to GPL for this and all future
versions (well, unless someone forks the old version).

Finally, I'll note that the file src/rand.cc incorporates the LGPLed
implementation of the Mersenne Twister algorithm. I've made note of this in the
comment at the beginning of the file; I'm not sure if I've done this right.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/