[Savannah-hackers] submission of advanced information monitor - savannah

From: savannah
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of advanced information monitor - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:17:34 -0400

Bjarke Freund-Hansen <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: advanced information monitor
System name: aimon
Type: non-GNU

I started this project for me to learn practical use of the C++ programming
language, the autotools, and the different tools for managing open source
projects (cvs, diff, etc.) But it is certainly meant to be a usable and
comprehensive project.

I will program the entire project in C++, and use the ncurses, and the libxml2
library. I will aim to follow the C++ standard, and make it POSIX compatibly,
but mainly being developed under and for GNU/Linux. I write this software
because I need a semi-transparent tool sitting in the corner of my desktop,
where I can see it always, watching that my servers are up an running, how many
users they got, and generally to monitor my servers.

The project will rely on plugins to provide the informations, the plugins being
small programs taking parameters specified in the custom conf file, and provide
it's results to std out.

I aim to provide at least the following plugin functions as default:

for the monitoring oriented:
 - users of the system
 - load avg.
 - uptime
 - clock
 - tcp/udp port respond watch

and desktop oriented:
 - tv program list
 - RSS feed
 - xmms playing song (and possibly other music player support)
 - new mail watch
 - web site update watch

The project will use the xml format for configuration files, and possibly in
the future a server part to provide information from other machines.

The above text is the one I submitted to sourceforge some days ago, I later
read this
http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2001-November/001966.html
statement, and decided to move the project. A "make dist" tarball of the
current cvs code is at http://rocekiller.dk/aimon-0.1.3cvs.tar.gz . The
complete project will be released under the GPL license.

Hope to get this project approved, so I can continue developing in a truly free
manner.

Other Software Required:
libXML2
libncurses
the plugins will mabe rely on other libraries for fetching information, but
_always_ on libraries released under a free software license

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/