[Savannah-hackers] Switching to the subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs r

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Switching to the subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs repository
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:53:23 +0200

I was asked to do this switch a long time ago, but only now had enough
time to set up my system (a Windows 98 box) for that.  I have PuTTY
installed, and set up the ported CVS to use its PLINK utility for
CVS/SSH access to the Emacs repository, including registration of my
public key on savannah.  However, when I try to run some CVS command,
like this:

  cvs -z3 -d :ext:subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs diff -u src/msdos.c

I get the following error message:

  protocol error: directory '/cvs/emacs/src' not within root '/cvsroot/emacs'

("cvs diff" was chosen because it's a non-destructive command.)

>From this I understand two things:

  1) my CVS/SSH setup seems to be working okay, and I am, in fact,
     accessing the /cvsroot/emacs repository via SSH;

  2) the error message is due to the old root recorded in the
     CVS/Repository files.

Are these conclusions correct, or am I missing something?

Now, it's possible that if I say "cvs co -d emacs", the CVS client
will rewrite all the CVS/Repository files, and this problem will go
away.  However, I wonder whether there's a less dramatic way of
switching; for example, can I simply edit those CVS/Repository files
manually?

TIA

P.S.  Btw, is it still true that subversions uses SSHv1, not v2,
unlike the rest of my gnu.org accounts?