Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of TYK - a language learning tool - sa

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of TYK - a language learning tool - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:55:25 -0400

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:20:07PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Kai Sterker <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: TYK - a language learning tool
> System name: tyk
> Type: non-GNU

> [2. Attempt: All Headers replaced, COPYING included]
>

> TYK (Teach Yourself Korean) is mainly written to aid me in learning a new
> language (korean, who'd have guessed!). However, being a follower of the free
> software movement, I'd like to share what I do with the community.
>
> In order for people to get the most benefit out of TYK, it will be written to
> support any foreign language. All data comes in XML format, so new lessons
> and exercises can be easily made (I personally will concentrate on korean,
> though).
>
> Gettext support should allow to localize lessons, so that one foreign
> language can be easily paired with different native languages. (i.e. german
> <-> korean, english <-> korean, etc ...).
>

> The backend of TYK will be written in C++, with portability in mind,
> so that it can run on any POSIX compliant system out of the box. The
> frontend is a different matter, as input of non-western characters
> is still a bit tricky. Planned are a GTK frontend, as that allows
> usage of the ami xinput server. But I'll also provide a Carbon gui
> to run TYK on OS X (I intend to use it on my iBook too). So Linux,
> FreeBSD and OS X would be covered. Other targets might require their
> own gui's, but I'll leave that to others, who'll hopefully jump
> aboard.

"Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS
to GNU/Linux?

For more information, see
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

I have approved your project.  You will receive an automated e-mail
containing detailled information about the approval.

Regards,

Rudy