Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah NEEDS sftp; suggestions and offer of hel

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah NEEDS sftp; suggestions and offer of help
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:33:16 -0700

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 03:04:10PM +0100, Nic wrote:
On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 02:59:44AM +0100, Sam Vilain wrote: > Yes, upgrading the C libraries is asking for trouble. Why not just > build the newer version against your distribution? I think we should first try to fix the problem instead of upgrading and trying to fix the problem.

Rudy asked me to take a look into this the other day. I looked at the
log of the call. From that it seems that the problem is solved. The
cvssh script needs to be hacked to allow people to call the sftp
service.

Did that happen?

No, someone else was supposed to do some "chroot" work on it, but didn't
get around to it.

Did it not work?

We won't know till we try it.

Was there a follow up problem?

Just the original problem.

I've been hanging out on irc.gnu.org #savannah for two days now as
SirDibos.  Noone has come by to chat with me or give me the promised
access to look around and do some third-party diagnosis.  I will
continue to idle there.  I hope someone shows up during the daytime
tomorrow (Sunday).

Normally I would support Rudy in trying to fix the problem without
upgrading.  But at this point it looks like most other things HAVE been
tried.  Who knows what sftp bugs have been fixed between the 3.4 version
of sshd run by *.gnu.org, and the 3.6 version currently recommended by
the OpenSSH team?  Given how easy it is, what do we have to lose?
OpenSSH_3.6 has been beaten on and used by thousands for the past few
months; it should be pretty risk free to drop it in as some other
list-members have suggested using apt-get source and dpkg-buildpackage.

Jonathan

PS: irc.gnu.org does still point to irc.freenode.net, right?

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2