Re: address@hidden: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Manual de referenci

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: address@hidden: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Manual de referencia de PyGTK 2.0 - savannah.nongnu.org]
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:59:08 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:

>     > We should have criteria for documentation licenses on Savannah
>     > just as we have criteria for software licenses.
>     > I think we should call for documentation licenses to be
> compatible
>     > with the GFDL or the GPL.
>
>     Am I correct if I say the GNU hasn't got a list like that yet?
>
> I don't entirely understand what list you mean.  There are infinitely
> many possible licenses that are compatible with the GFDL, and
> infinitely many that are compatible with the GPL.  So there cannot be
> a complete list of acceptable licenses, as I see it.
>
> In practice, only a finite set of such licenses have actually been
> used.
> Practically speaking, we can have a fixed list of the normally
> acceptable
> licenses.  It needs to be constructed.
>
> Is there a fixed list of licenses allowed for savannah.nongnu.org?
> I don't know the precise criteria.

There is no fixed list.
There is a criteria: the compatibility with the GPL.

To help users, we propose a list of well known GPL-compatible licenses to them.
They know, by picking these licenses, that their software is GPL-compatible. But
they can come up with another license, which one we would review before
accepting the project, to make sure it's truly GPL-compatible. Eventually we ask
 for an advice to address@hidden when a proposed license is too confusing.

--
Mathieu Roy

   -- I\'m right now on vacation and I\'m forced to use an unfriendly tool to
   get/send mail. If you expect a reply from me very soon, add \"urgent\" in
   the subject field --