Re: [Savannah-hackers] Minor problem with giFTcurs CVS

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Minor problem with giFTcurs CVS
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:21:38 -0400

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 02:01:31PM +0200, G?ran Weinholt wrote:
> It seems I can't checkout giFTcurs by tag:
>
> $ export CVSROOT=:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/giftcurs
> $ cvs -z3 co -r Release-0_6_0 giFTcurs
> cvs [server aborted]: cannot write /cvsroot/giftcurs/CVSROOT/val-tags:
> Permission denied
>
> Could you please fix this? I use this feature in my release scripts,
> among other things.

[/cvsroot/giftcurs/CVSROOT]# cat val-tags
Release-0_1_0 y
debian_version_0_3_0-1 y
upstream_version_0_3_0 y
Release-0_3_1 y
Release-0_4_1 y
Release-0_4_3 y
Release-0_4_2 y
Release-0_4_0 y
Release-0_3_2 y
Release-0_3_3 y
Release-0_3_4 y
Snapshot-020815 y
Release-0_5_2 y
Release-0_5_6 y
Release-0_5_7 y

is the contents of that file.  I can checkout Release-0_5_7. also it
seems normal that the anoncvs user doesn't have access to write to
that file.  Don't it.  Are you sure that you have s release 0.6.0?

I also found this in the CVS handbook:

I get an error about val-tags; what should I do?
If you see an error like this:

cvs [export aborted]: cannot write /usr/local/myproj/CVSROOT/val-tags:
\
   Operation not permitted

it means the user CVS is running as does not have permission to write
to the CVSROOT/val-tags file. This file stores valid tag names, to
give CVS a fast way to determine what tags are valid. Unfortunately,
CVS sometimes modifies this file even for operations that are
read-only with respect to the repository, such as checking out a
project.

This is a bug in CVS and may be fixed by the time you read this. Until
then, the solution is either to make val-tags world-writeable or,
failing that, to remove it or change its ownership to the user running
the CVS operation. (You'd think just changing the permissions would be
enough, but on several occasions I've had to change the ownership,
too.)

Let us first determine if you have such a tag.