[Savannah-hackers] (Maybe not so) Frequently Asked Questions

From: Dashamir Hoxha
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] (Maybe not so) Frequently Asked Questions
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 02:23:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have these questions about copying permission
statement:

1 - Why is it necessary to put it at the beginning
    of _every_ source file?

2 - In a web application there are usually PHP
    files, JavaScript files, HTML files, CSS files,
    etc. Are HTML and CSS files to be considered as
    source code? Is it necessary to put the copying
    permission statement at the top of each HTML
    and CSS file as well?

I couldn't find the answer of these questions at
the FAQ page. I tried to discuss them with
Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> (from savannah hackers)
however his answers didn't satisfy me. I have
attached here the correspondence with him
(I have deleted some nonrelevant parts, however
if Rudy thinks that they are important, he can
forward them).

For the next release of phpWebApp (a web application
framweork package, which I wish to make a GNU
package),
in order to be conform the existing rules, I will try
to do such a compromise:
1 - I all add the copying permission statement at
    the top of every PHP and JS files that are longer
    than 25 lines.
2 - I will add just "This file is part of phpWebApp."
    to the PHP and JS files that are less than 25
    lines.
3 - I will not add it to the HTML, CSS, txt, etc.

However, I think that these questions need to get
a reasonable answer. Just "Yes." or "No.", or
"Because I like it so." or "Because this is how it
has been decided." are not acceptable answers.

Best regards,
Dashamir Hoxha

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
--- On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:48:13 -0700 (PDT)
--- Dashamir Hoxha <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Rudy,

> Before releasing your project under the GPL, please
> place
> copyright notices and permission to copy statements
> at the beginning
> of every file of source code.

This is something I don't fully understand.
Why is it necessary to place them at the beginning
of _every_ file? I couldn't find an answer to this
question in the FAQ too.

I like to spread the code into many files, for more
readability. For example, I never put two PHP classes
in the same file, but put them in separate files; I
don't put all the constants of the application in the
same file, but divide them into separate files
according to their categorization. If you see the
code of the framework, you will find there some small
or very small files (with just 3 or 4 lines).

Adding a big comment at the beginning of every file,
in my opinion, reduces the readability of the code
and is unnecessary. Actually, all these files work
as part of the whole framework, so I don't understand
the necessity of adding permission statements at the
beginning of each of them. Maybe adding it at just
a few key files of the framework would be enough, and
then at the other files I can add just "This file is
part of phpWebApp.".

Another thing related to web applications is that
they may have HTML files, CSS files etc. (along with
PHP files and JavaScript files). Are they to be
considered as code files as well, and should I include
permission statements at the beginning of each of
them?

Regards,
Dashamir

--- On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:30:48 -0400
--- Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Before releasing your project under the GPL, please
> > place
> > copyright notices and permission to copy statements
> > at the beginning
> > of every file of source code.
>
> This is something I don't fully understand.
> Why is it necessary to place them at the beginning
> of _every_ file? I couldn't find an answer to this
> question in the FAQ too.

There is a simple answer to that question.  If a file hasn't got them
one could say that that file isn't under the GPL.

Imagina that the files who have the license in them get lost.  And
somebody else gets the other files without the license and copyright
notices and permission to copy statements.  Then there is no way for
that person to know that the code is licensed under the GPL and thus
copylefted.

Rudy

--- On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 06:52:56 -0700 (PDT)