Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of XML Difference Generator - savannah

From: r s
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of XML Difference Generator - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:41:37 +0100 (BST)

Hello Rudy,

May be I am being too naive, but here i have some
understandings, perhaps you can help me put together
in terms of the official jargon...

1. I intend to allow anybody and everybody to use the
program (no money involved) until he/she wants to earn
money from it. Then may be this project would like to
have some credit (of course not money).

2. I don't mind anybody using the code and
designing/devicing something better or different using
it in some manner, provided he/she retains project's
credentials.

3. I am still investigating whether or not the
implementation of the project can be completed using
free java software(on the design thoughts that I
have). I wonder if you can tell me/or direct me to
answers of -
        a. What kind of license and form the project can take
in such a situation if its not possible to have
implementation using free software only, and we 'have
to' use Sun software?
        b. Will it be possible to port (officially) the code
now written using Sun software to the free tools
available later ?

4. Also, I am not sure as to what do you mean when you
say, "More information about this point" (probably you
are pointing me to using J2SE ?) ..

Please guide me to carry it further..

best regards
raghav..

 --- Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> wrote: > Hi,

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

> Also, when you think about the "free", think "free
> as in freedom",
> think "freedom as in free speech.  Do NOT think
> about "free as in free
> beer".
>
> > finding out differences in two similar xml files.
> I was working for
> > a banking project where we used to receive
> contract information in
> > xml format. Need was to find out whether a given
> contract has
> > changed or not since last. That difference of tags
> or values of the
> > xml file was to be found out.
>

> > This project is still in its conception state.
> Actual/New design and implementation ideas are
> welcome. Here I'll put what I have already thought
> of -
> >
> > > Will be developed in Java using J2SE 1.4.x
>
> You must determine whether your project can run on a
> Free
> Software Java suite (see
> http://www.gnu.org/software/java/ for more
> information).
>
> Please provide us more information about this point.
>

> > > Will be using DOM technology
> > > Will have a GUI to allow relatively easy to use
> user interface
> > > Will also have command line interface to allow
> integration with other sources/recipients
> > > Will allow the difference output in various
> forms
> >     - allow only unchanged tags to go to  a new file
> >     - allow only changed tags to go to  a new file
> >     - generate a separate XML file containing the
> differences
> > > Possible future upgradations
> >     - Using DTD/XSD to compare the xml files
> >
> > Other Software Required:
> > Intended software/technology uses -
> > - Java
> > - DOM
>
> Please register your project once more with the
> changes
> mentioned above.
>
> We cannot track projects that have been answered but
> not approved, so
> we must ask you to register the project whenever you
> change the
> registration. Make sure to apply all changes so you
> need to reregister
> only once.
>
> The re-registration URL found in our acknowledgement
> of your earlier
> registration will direct you to the proper location.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rudy
> --
> Rudy Gevaert                address@hidden
> Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
> GNU/Linux for schools
> http://www.nongnu.org/glms
> Savannah hacker             http://savannah.gnu.org

Yahoo! India Promos: Win TVs, Bikes, DVD players & more!
Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com