[Savannah-hackers] submission of FreeDink - savannah.gnu.org

From: beuc
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of FreeDink - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 07:19:37 -0500

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Sylvain BEUCLER <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: FreeDink
System name: dink
Type: GNU

The project is about Dink Smallwood, a free Zelda-like game engine.

Dink was first a proprietary game. 3 months ago, its source code was released
under a BSD-like licence (available at
http://www.rtsoft.com/codedojo/files/dink/license.txt). The engine uses a set
of base graphics, scripts and sound data (for which the engine was originaly
written) which is freely redistribuable, though non-free yet, and allow players
to make their own add-on with as much power as the creators of the game. The
engine can be used without the base data.

The first effort was to define the original licence to make it free and set up
a decent work environment. Christoph Reichenback (jameson) took care of that
part and chose SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dink/), since at
that time, Dink relied on the non-free library DirectX.

The next effort was to get a usable Unix port. Shawn Betts (sabetts) worked on
a usable SDL conversion from DirectX, which is functional at least under
GNU/Linux and FreeBSD, but still needs works to make it as good as the original
non-free version (sound rate, some small bugs...).

I took care of lots of administrative tasks such as copylefting the code with
the GNU GPL, fixing some CVS repository issues, and gave some end-user support.
I am currently adding a way for the Unix port to play unmodified games
developed for Windows, and I plan to add gettext support to its scripting
language, which is part of my translation effort I began mid-2000
(http://dink-translation.beuc.net - an effort that will be used by SuSE
Germany).

These two people mentioned above cannot take care of the project anymore, are
not administrators anymore, and left the project in the hands of Andrew
Reading, who was the only active registered developer.

Unfortunately, he lacks administrators and programming skills. We also have
incompatible views on the project: he wants to improve the buggy builtin
scripting language, which may break backward compatibility with existing
add-ons, instead of using an already existing robust scripting language such as
Guile; he also has less interest in making the package compliant with the GNU
standards (such as maintaining a decent ChangeLog, and using standard directory
hierarchy). Last, I also need to fix his errors on the CVS repository more than
I can admit.

But the worst problem is that it is very difficult to communicate, even if we
have a mailing-list and a chat available for our project. After a little
quiproquo, he even suggested I could be denied access to the source repository.

That lead me to consider a difficult decision: the need to fork. I dislike
splitting programming efforts, but I have the feeling of wasting my time on a
project that may end going in the wrong direction. Hence this project
registration request. Now that Dink is usable under GNU systems, it has the
opportunity of being hosted at Savannah, I am happy to try it.

Source code:

cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/dink login

(no password)

cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/dink co dink

Other Software Required:
Dink now relies on SDL, SDL_ttf, SDL_mixer and SDL_image (all under the LGPL).

It may require wxWindows base library soon for portability issues like
directory recursive parsing.

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/