Re: [Savannah-hackers] Trouble using ssh

From: Daniel Lemire
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Trouble using ssh
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:36:47 -0400

> All documents that mention SSH v1 are obsolete, since Savannah upgraded
> to v2 after the crack. If you find again any reference to v1, it would
> be nice to submit a bug request - I had submitted one today for the
> reference to "identity.pub" (which is the default public key file for
> v1) in the FAQ that you also mentioned.

Ok. Thanks. It is valuable info. I think that v1 is mentionned pretty much
throughout. I'll report it in the future, but could someone make this
explicit somewhere on savannah (that is, that part of the site is now
obselete and being corrected).

> There is no password on savannah.gnu.org. The passphrase is another
> password you personaly put on your ssh key.

I understand that much: there is no password access to the ssh server on
savannah. Yes. I believe this is clear for the documentation. Savannah only
communicates through private/public keys.

> The log seems to show you could log to savannah.gnu.org.

For the first time ever. Yes. Though, I'm not sure how reproducible this is
accross different machines/accounts.

>  However, I do
> not know in what extend sftp currently works, since it cannot be used
> for uploads anymore (I never used it since I made my first file upload
> after the crack). The best way to check whether SSH works is to commit
> a change to the CVS repository of one of your projects.

AH? Well, CVS hosting is not the feature I want to use for now. I'd only want
to make available snapshots of the code and build a small web site for the
project (HTML).

My goal was not to use CVS at this time since I have my own CVS server and
don't expect many external users to contribute to my projects at this point;
and I would rather learn my ways around savannah by baby steps. In phase 1, I
was planning to merely release snapshots of the source code which is what
most potential users would be happy with...

So, let's say that I'd want my web sites to be less ugly and to have a few
officiel file releases, how would I do that? Can CVS access do this for me?

> The fact you are asked a passphrase is strange.

How is that strange??? I'm constantly asked for a password, now, for once, I'm
asked for a passphrase which I thought was the result I was after...???

> Could you tell me if
> you entered some text here:
>    Enter file in which to save the key (/home/lemired/.ssh/id_dsa):

No. I did not enter anything. I figured the default was ok. The impact this is
having is that I upload id_dsa.pub and not identity.pub.

>    Enter passphrase (empty for no passphrase):

Yes. I did.  A long "password" was entered (over 16 characters).

>    Enter same passphrase again:

Same passphrase was entered.

> and here:
>    debug1: read PEM private key done: type <unknown>
>    Enter passphrase for key '/home/lemired/.ssh/id_dsa':
>    debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
> ?

Yes, I did enter my passphrase there.

Thanks!
--
Daniel Lemire, Ph.D.
Research Officer, National Research Council of Canada