[Savannah-hackers] submission of DharmaDoc - savannah.nongnu.org

From: jel
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of DharmaDoc - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:11:55 -0400

Lee Braiden <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: DharmaDoc
System name: dharmadoc
Type: GNU

Basically, the project builds a local, organised, searchable website from
documents located around the net.

This an attempt to build a quick equivalent of SWORD for Buddhism (and perhaps
other topics in future), but using more existing technology, such as webservers
and web search engines.  SWORD is nice, but only covers Christian scriptures.

There is a 'Buddhist SWORD' already, called ShanYou, but it's only in the
planning stage, and will take some time yet.  Since they're taking an almost
opposite approach to the problem, I plan to work with them if possible, and
perhaps meet in the middle.

The software consists of a few configuration files to help get a virtual server
up and running, some templates, and a python dialog-based management frontend
to allow download and installation of scriptures.

Other Software Required:
A lot of existing technologies are used/required:

Apache (or other CGI webserver)
Python
Namazu
Dialog
WGet

Also: Plan to replace Namazu with a more Unicode-capable GPL'd search engine in
future -- perhaps ASPSeek.

Other Comments:
Although many buddhist texts are available free, some are freely downloadable,
but not distributable or modifiable.  Hence, direct, simplified downloading is
one of the goals of this program.

I can see that this might be an issue, although I intend to check licenses and
authors'/distributors' preferrences before including such works.

I know that the registration process specifically mentions 'automatically'
downloading and installing packages, but for reasons of performance, bandwidth
and basic respect, this project specifically encourages users to choose only
the packages that interest them from a list.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/