[Savannah-hackers] Problems with encryption and encryption-related code

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Problems with encryption and encryption-related code on Savannah
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:50:45 -0400

Several years ago, the US dropped its prohibition on export of free
software that does encryption or is designed to call encryption code.
It is no longer illegal to do this.

However, Eben Moglen confirmed for me a few weeks ago that the US
government's export rules will try to impose restrictions on people
who subsequently get copies from redistributors outside the US.
Because of this, we still want encryption code to be developed
outside the US and released from outside the US.

So projects hosted on Savannah should not include any code that does
encryption, nor any code designed specifically to call an encryption
routine.