[Savannah-hackers] submission of Big Friendly Gui - savannah.nongnu.org

From: flonejek
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Big Friendly Gui - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:30:13 -0400

Adon Metcalfe <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Big Friendly Gui
System name: bfg
Type: non-GNU

I plan to write a gui to support several linux p2p backends, and hopefully
incorporate swarming across the networks in the future. First I'll start with
writing a wxPython gui for The Circle (http://thecircle.org.au/), and then
branch out into other p2p apps. The gui design is going to be similar to
shareaza's (http://www.shareaza.com/), as that is one of the most productive
p2p gui's I have seen. The main reason I'm doing this is that I believe several
separate specialized clients are better than one huge one (giFT's ideaology,
but its network support is poor, and at times dismal for networks other than
its native openFT implementation, which is the second network I plan to add
support for). The main achievment of this I believe, is the ease of use for the
user, i.e. mutella is the best gnutella client/server out there, but it only
has a cli interface. I'm already a member of 'The Circle', and was going to
write the gui soley for that project, but this would limit
the viability of expanding support for other p2p network daemons. At the moment
I haven't written any code, but have learnt python/wxpython (partially), and am
going to start probably next week, as I have from then till July the 6th free.

Other Software Required:
Python, wxPython, linux p2p backends

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah