[Savannah-hackers] Licensing Lab Web Pages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Licensing Lab Web Pages
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:31:30 -0400

    > Can you explain why the "Licensing Lab Web Pages" project was pushed
    > through the pending queue?

This is the first I've heard of it, so I don't know the facts, but I
can guess that the Licensing Lab wanted a web page directory.
www.gnu.org gets all its pages from Savannah, and the way to create a
directory there is to make a project.  Therefore our sysadmin set up
the project.

If that is what happened, of course it was the right thing to do.  If
the FSF Licensing Lab needs web pages, it should have them.  However,
Paul should have sent you mail saying what he was doing.

      We have been telling people that ask that
    > Savannah is not accepting new projects, though now they may think (and
    > rightly so) that we're not accepting new projects that are not GNU/FSF
    > related.

This is not a matter of "accepting" projects--this project wasn't
proposed and accepted, rather we set it up for our own purposes.

     Also, was it intentional that savannah-hackers were not consulted on this?

Paul, would you please notify the savannah-hackers before you create a
project?  Please keep them informed about everything you do on
savannah.

    >  It would seem curtious to have done so as we are the ones that would have
    > to defend this action.

No one needs to defend this action.  It is obviously legitimate for
the FSF to create new web directories, and we never promised anyone we
would not make them.  Thus, anyone who sees something wrong in this
has either misunderstood or is judging us by an unfair standard.

So if someone asks for an explanation of this, or says it is an
inconsistency, please say "The FSF manages all its web pages through
Savannah; it needed these web pages, so it set them up."  If the
person is not prejudiced, merely confused, that will be enough
explanation.

It is counterproductive to spend time arguing with a person who is
prejudiced.  If someone sees an evil in that brief response, I suggest
you discontinue the conversation--unless you are in the mood to argue
with someone unlikely to be convinced, just for the challenge of it.