[Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah-hackers Digest, Vol 19, Issue 26

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah-hackers Digest, Vol 19, Issue 26
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:52:11 +0200

>> Please note that when helping Savannah, you act as a spokesmen for the
>> Free Software foundation, thus it must be clear that you will have to
>> use the language that the FSF uses and must educate other users about
>> the goals of the FS movement.
>
> I need to figure out for myself first.
> I understnad the importance of the movement, and it's value, but I don't
> get why asking others to call something in your name, instead of having
> your own stuff.
>
> Technicly, I think that calling an OS GNU/Linux is as wrong as calling
> it Linux.

It is not matter of technics but of history and philosophy.

If you consider that GNU/Linux started by Linus Torvalds start writing
his kernel, then, yes, you should call that system Linux.

If you consider that GNU/Linux started when someone from the MIT
created the Free Software philosophy in the 1980's then you should
call that system GNU/Linux.

As a matter of fact, Savannah is supposed to follow Free Software
spirit, as it originally is a FSF France project and now is run by the
FSF USA, both associations trying to promote the Free Software
philosophy I was referring to previously.

You have a right to disagree or agree with the Free Software
philosophy or the Free Software historiography of GNU/Linux. However,
if you work on Savannah, you have to accept to follow, when working on
it, its spirit.

> Removing the word "Linux" will have the same effect, as adding "GNU",
> but the first option is the only right way to resolve the problem in my
> opinion.

Removing Linux from the name GNU/Linux would not be senseless but it
would just mean having lost touch with reality.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |