[Savannah-hackers] submission of Community Hardware Freedom Database - s

From: zen
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Community Hardware Freedom Database - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:42:55 -0400

Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Community Hardware Freedom Database
System name: chfd
Type: non-GNU

Free Software Community Freedom Hardware Database

This project is a Free Software Community-wide database of information relating
to hardware that is useful to our community.

This includes hardware identification numbers; manufacturer, developer and
other contacts; driver, library and utility software URLs; kernel, operating
system/ distribution applicability; technical data; and any information about
the hardware device that is useful to free software hackers.

It is a single point of contact for manufacturers, distribution and driver
developers as well as end users. Prior to this project, there are multiple
sources for such information/ submissions: distribution- specific hardware
compatibility lists (HCLs), device- category specific web sites (eg. the
linuxprinting.org website for printers) and data lists (eg. the PCI ID database
hosted at sourceforge).

This site unifies the existing diversity, thereby providing an efficient,
friendly, and advertisable location to manufacturers and others. This will
result in easier submission, better submission data (since the submissions will
be (at least initially) via email and individuals will therefore be able to
follow up with the submitter for further info).

There is an initial schema that we are enhancing here:
http://www.schemamania.org/projects/chd/chd.sql

Other Software Required:
The canonical/ master repository will be an SQL database.

We will write conversion scripts to generate many output formats.

Other Comments:
RMS has given his support, and useful direction, to the project so far. This
project will (intends to) be an official GNU project.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/