[Savannah-hackers] submission of Universal Profile And Networking: GEogr

From: h
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Universal Profile And Networking: GEogra - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:01:40 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Harel B <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Universal Profile And Networking: GEogra
System name: upangea
Type: GNU

NAME: uPangea: Universal Profile And Networking: GEography and Affinity

COMMENT: No code exists at this time.

URL to description http://economicdemocracy.org/upangea.html

Brief technical description ~20 lines:

uPANGEA will create a) a generalized extensible protocol for personal profiles
and b) tools such as a profile editor and ways of storing
and distributing these profiles. More details are at the above URL. Specific
applications of this general, powerful software would include (but not be
limited to) the following: i) making centralized-database lists for personal
ads (or for frienster, or for meetup.com) obsolete as the process of
registration, cration of new caterogies and new data fields, etc, become
democratized, as well as Free Software. ii) A  owerful community, civic, and
activism organizing tool for finding like-minded people in one's zip code, or
by any other field (geography
being one data field) In the US for example, you could search within your zip+5
(perhaps even your apartment building) for anyone else interested in chess,
vegetarian potlucks, or labor (or even tenants) organizing. iii) In the long
term, the generalizability and extensibility of uPANGEA would allow for
creating new applications we cannot imagine today. One futuristic application
which could be  PANGEA linked to GPS and world-wide maps as you plan a
long-distance trip in an Electric Vehicle (EV). Searching your map route
through the global uPANGEA profile database for people who allow you to plug-in
 our car, near/along your travel route, the EV's limited range (and
nsufficient public recharge stations) is circumvented.

Other Software Required:

Other Comments:
I mentioned this project idea to Richard Stallman and on at, 15 Nov 2003
22:59:40 -0500 he wrote,
"It is a good idea.  I would not mind lending my voice to encourage
people to help, but I can't take the lead.  Do you want to?"
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:03:56 -0500 after some back and forth (and his
generously helping me think about data types) he wrote "You can start a project
on savannah.gnu.org, and we can point people
at it, suggesting they could help." I'd been swamped but am now
ready to create the page and hopefully find programmers (I am
familiar with linux/FSF but am not a programmer) interested in helping. I'm
also involved with Znet and other progressive communities
and hope to become (or uPANGEA to become) a bridge between progressives and GNU
activists. The two overlap of course but
too often I find myself needing to explain to folks on, e.g., Znet, what linux
let alone Free Software even is..! :o)

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/