Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Dicki -- Individualized Vocabulary

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Dicki -- Individualized Vocabulary Build - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:17:00 +0100

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 05:51:52AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Pavel Tolkachev <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: mbsd
> Other License:
> Package: Dicki -- Individualized Vocabulary Build
> System name: dicki
> Type: non-GNU

> The purpose of Dicki is to brush up my long dead GUI Programming skills
> and help my friend to study C++ in a manner I believe is the only
> suitable for the purpose: making a real software. As an exacmple, I want
> to take a convenient ergonomic program for my own English Language
> studies.
>
> Forces
> My motivations for starting this project are:
> 1.    To help a friend and check some ideas in the area of sofware
> engineers training
> 2.    My desire to give a check to some my beliefs in the area of
> software engineering, C and C++.
> 3.    A hope of mine that, if best comes to best, I will end up with a
> custom tailored program satisfying all my needs.
>
> When Dicki Is Useful: Problem Area Description
> I believe some software could be of help for me each time when I:
> 1.    Meet a written English word or phrase unknown to me
> 2.    Meet a written English word or phrase in the context, to which no
> one of known to me meanings of this word seems to be relevant, either
> exactly or at all.
> 3.    Hear an English word or phrase that I do not recognize, at all or
> as relevant to the context.
> 4.    Need a right word or phrase for my writing.
> I remember my mentioning my English studies in the beginning of this
> document; while it is true that the situations listed above often arise
> while someone learns English, however Dicki, if properly built from the
> ground up, can be of use in a number of other contexts, like business or
> personal writing, reading legal documents etc.
>

> Other Software Required:
> There will be no dependencies on a non-free software, as of the best of
> my knowledge, to build Dicki. The first compiler I use for it is MingW
> and  although the first version will be built for MS Windows, only base
> MS Windows C API will be used.

Even though your project is Free Software it can not be hosted
here.  We only host projects that can run on a free operating
system (such as Debian GNU/Linux).

We have adopted this policy because now that completely free operating
systems exist, we do not want to encourage users of those systems to
start using proprietary operating systems so that they can use your
program.

If you are willing to maintain a version for free operating systems,
which work as well as or better than other ports, you can
then provide versions for nonfree systems as well.  The idea is that at
no point should only-free users be at a disadvantage compared to users of
proprietary software.

Your project should always work equally well in free systems as in any
other version you provide; if you have some modules for nonfree
systems, you can delay their release until you have released the free
operating system version.

If you accept this commitment then please register your project again
and it should be approved in Savannah.

Thank you for your understanding.

Elfyn McBratney
beu on irc.freenode.net/savannah.[non]gnu.org

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4