[Savannah-hackers] submission of voc-get - savannah.nongnu.org

From: soeren . d . schulze
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of voc-get - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:59:43 -0400

Soeren D. Schulze <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: voc-get
System name: voc-get
Type: non-GNU

voc-get is a free vocabulary learning (I ponder whether ``training'' might be a
better word) program.  It is currently hosted at SourceForge, but for some
reasons, I would like to switch to Savannah:

1. I would like to publish Free Software rather than Open Source software, and
at SourceForge, it might be considered Open Source even if I explicitly call it
Free Software.
2. I moreover wish to dissociate from some other SourceForge inconveniences,
such as Microsoft adversiting on the top of a page.
3. It seems like SourceForge limits the access for non-paying users more and
more while getting terribly commercial.  (I do not think commercial is bad in
all cases, but there are examples what competition inflicts to software.)
4. And finally, the SourceForge software seems even unreliable sometimes.  For
example, pages are sometimes generated incompletely.

A description what voc-get is and what it does and finally the source code (not
including the dozens of open CVS sandboxes :) is available on

http://voc-get.sourceforge.net

I am afraid I am currently its only hacker, but voc-get is not dead at all,
although the user interface is still a bit incomplete.  (It is not seriously
usable for non-hackers yet.)
Nevertheless, voc-get hits 2000 lines.

voc-get currently uses the Public Domain serverless SQL library SQLite, but it
is designed to be able to replace this sometime.

Regarding the usual stuff:
- Programming Language: C (embedding SQL for database access)
- License:              GPL for everything
- Building environment: ideally on any system with an ANSI-compliant C compiler
and a standard library
- User interface:       currently text-based, but designed to be able to
replace this with GTK or CGI sometime
- Intended audience:    probably mainly students
- Existing documentation:
                        lots of source and header comments, README & friends,
manpage, Texinfo usage manual, general project information in HTML

Soeren Schulze

Other Software Required:
SQLite (http://sqlite.org )

Other Comments: