Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of StrategicCombat 2D Turnbased Strate

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of StrategicCombat 2D Turnbased Strategy - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:32:55 -0400

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 03:02 pm, Dejan Baca wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 06:42, Michael J. Flickinger wrote:
>
> In my last mail I wrote that  I did not have any control over the images
> and sounds of the game.
> Would it maby be better if any artis would have to give me copyright of
> there work so I can release it as GPL?

That's not needed.  Just make sure the images are clearly licensed under the
GPL, or something compatible with the GPL.

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
> >
> > On Saturday 28 August 2004 07:03 pm, address@hidden wrote:
> > > A package was submitted to savannah.nongnu.org
> > > This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
> > >

> > > Dejan Baca <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> > > License: gpl
> > > Other License:
> > > Package: StrategicCombat 2D Turnbased Strategy
> > > System name: strategiccombat
> > > Type: non-GNU

> > > StrategicCombat is going to be a turn based 2d strategy game.
> > > It will use the allegro game library for grafics (giftware).
> > > Source is written in C.
> > > It's intended to run on GNU/Linux but support for more OS might happen.
> > > Coding has just started, so there isent much to see there.
> > > Source url: http://www.dejan.se/strategiccombat.tgz
> > > Source code will be released as GPL. Music and grafics will be released
> > > as freeware.
> > >

> > > Other Software Required:
> > > Allegro http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/
> > >
> > > Other Comments:

> > >   Message sent via/by Savannah
> > >   http://savannah.gnu.org/

> > You wrote, the following:
> > >Source code will be released as GPL. Music and grafics will be released
> > > as
> >
> > freeware.
> >
> > Could you please write back defining what you exactally mean by
> > "freeware"? Freeware is an ambiguous term and does not have any
> > particular agreed-on definition.
> >
> > See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#TOCFreeware for
> > more information.
> >

> > Regards,

I have approved your project.  You will receive an automated e-mail
containing detailed information about the approval.

One small note, in files "./src/logic.c" and "./src/main.c", it would be a
good idea to fix the header.  Currently, they read, "See the GNU Library
General Public License for more details", when in fact the code is licensed
under the GPL.

For your reference, here's the preferred header:

    <one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>
    Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>

    (at your option) any later version.

    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

Michael J. Flickinger