Re: [Savannah-hackers] Fw: The groff list and spam

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Fw: The groff list and spam
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:34:54 +0100

Hello Werner, Goran,

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 06:03:31PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Sigh.  Can you explain what's going on here?  I believe there a still
> problems with mailman (this time on gnu.org)...

As the archiver mungs email addresses (and as the groff lists are not yet
archived), that rules out the web archives as a source.  The only other way
Goran's address could have been harvested (from the GNU machines) is if the
'harvester' was subscribed to the list.

> From: G?ran Weinholt
> [...]
>
> when the groff list was hosted by ffii.org it received a lot of
> spam. It's much better now when it's hosted by gnu.org, thanks.
>
> But apparently the spam problem does not end here. When I subscribed
> to the groff list I created and used an email address that I have not
> given to anyone else. I am completely certain that I only ever gave
> this address to the ffii.org mailing list software. This address has
> now received its first spam not directed to the groff list. I can send
> you a copy of the spam if you wish.
>
> So it seems to me that someone has sold my one-use email address to a
> spammer. I just thought you might like to know.

Goran, could you please send me the headers from the spam you recieved?  With
that, I might be able to find out who the rogue subsriber is and, err,
unsubscribe them. :)

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney
beu on irc.freenode.net/savannah.[non]gnu.org

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4