[Savannah-hackers] submission of The OpenCookBook - savannah.gnu.org

From: david . grant
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of The OpenCookBook - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:21:03 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

David Grant <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: fdl
Other License:
Package: The OpenCookBook
System name: opencookbook
Type: GNU

I am not sure if you guys support this kind of project, but I think it is an
interesting and very useful one.  There are some free recipe websites out there
but often I find there are just TOO many recipes.  Other websites like
allrecipes.com make people pay to see certain recipes.

The goal is to create a free open-source cookbook (of food recipes) using an
amazing (but simple) latex class called 'cooking' by Axel Reichert.  This class
has a great way of structuring the recipe layout which you can see in the
source code I provided.

The cookbook would contain many recipes.  Initially, the cookbook would contain
almost any recipe.  Recipes would be decided upon by the developers whether or
not to include them.  Identical recipes would be merged so as to find the
ultimate recipe.  For example, unless two recipes for spaghetti sauce differ
significantly, the two recipes will be combined, taking the best of each to
make the best recipe.  This cookbook will start off as being the best of the
best, only the best recipes out there.  Eventually as the project expands I
would like to have several cookbooks branch off into a desert-only cookbook, a
vegetarian-only cookbook, a main course-only cookbook, and so on.  This is
easily achieved by using \inlude statements, to include recipes of certain
types.  Using latex as the processing system gives us a lot of flexibility,
especially with regards to changing the output format of the recipes later.

The source code of my cookbook is here.
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81/myCookbook.tar.gz   I have many more that I want to
add but I need a place on the web to store them, and which allows others to
share and add easily through CVS, which usually works pretty good for Latex,
but will work better for recipes, where less information is stored per line,
than with usual Latex documents.

I have one person on the internet who also uses the latex cooking class and is
willing to help contribute some recipes to get us started.

Other Software Required:
latex (tetex for linux or miktex for windows, for example)
cooking package for latex

Other Comments:
If you reject, can you please communicate to me if there is any way I can
change it in order to make it acceptable or explain your reasons.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/