Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah Project Approval [CjVgS]

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah Project Approval [CjVgS]
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:52:43 -0400

On Thursday 09 September 2004 05:59 pm, Frédéric Déléchamp wrote:
> Le Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:33:20 -0400,
>
> "Michael J. Flickinger" <address@hidden> prit sa plume et écrivit:
> > On Thursday 26 August 2004 05:01 pm, you wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.

> > > run in Linux-like OSes.

> > > using it.

> > > Ant support, javacvs (javacvs.netbeans.org) and maybe JFreeChart
> > > (for future
> > >
> > > :-).
> > > :
> > >
> > > build the project.

> > > Four of the required packages have licenses incompatible with the
> > > GPL. Swing (Sun Public License)
> > > Ant (Apache Software License, version 2.0)
> > > JUnit (Common Public License)
> > > javacvs-library (Sun Public License)
> >
> > One quick follow up note, Ant is an acceptable dependency, as it's
> > free software and not compiled into the source of your project.  The
> > problem still remains with Swing, javacvs, and JUnit however.
> >
> > Dependencies that are free software and GPL incompatible may be used
> > if they are not linked/included in the source.
> >
> > --
> > Michael J. Flickinger
>
> Thanks, and sorry for late answer ...
>
> I will list dependencies and use of it:
>
> javacvs:      Used for some APIs. I can get rid of these dependencies
>               though...
> Swing:                Used to provide a graphical interface. I can split the
> project
>               in two parts, one GPL'ed without Swing, another using it and
>               Swing. This will add complexity, but if there is no other way...
>
> more interesting...
> Ant:          Used for building, packaging,... processes, not for any
>               functionalities of the software.
> JUnit:                Used for unit testing of the classes of the project,
> not for any
>               functionalities of the software.
>
> The Ant case seems to be solved.
>
> Can't really the former project, JUnit, be treated in a similar way?
> Otherwise maybe another splitting... I don't like so much that, it's
> better to keep it simple.
>
> The final packaged software won't be shipped with the tests classes.
> So my project is using JUnit in the source code of unitary tests
> classes, but these will be packaged in another jar file.
>
> It means for me that if one day JUnit becomes no more available,
> it will still be possible to build the software, and everything
> related to it, except tests classes. In this way, am I still breaking
> GPL rules?
>
> Or let's say that unit testing functionality of the project will be
> dependent of JUnit, and may be broken depending on the availability of
> this specific piece of code.
> Or can you advise me a good GPL-compatible alternative to JUnit, please?
> I am lost between Mockry (http://mockry.sourceforge.net/),
> Mock Objects (http://www.mockobjects.com/),
> GrandTestAuto (http://grandtestauto.org/), and others...

> [...]

Swing is proprietary software, due to this you project cannot be
hosted on Savannah.

Savannah is willing to provide resources and time to developers
writing Free Software that can be used without the need to ask
permission from a proprietary software vendor.

If, someday, you get free of those dependencies (see
http://www.gnu.org/software/java for more information), do not
hesitate to resubmit your project.

Thank you for your understanding.

Michael J. Flickinger