Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of GNU-Malayalam Project - savannah.no

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of GNU-Malayalam Project - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:35:07 +0200

> Vivek Varghese Cherian <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: GNU-Malayalam Project
> System name: gmp
> Type: non-GNU

Your project is not yet part of the GNU project, so we cannot accept its
current name.

While there are non-GNU programs with names that include 'gnu', such
as gnuplot and gnuboy, they are not hosted on Savannah.
 We want to
maintain the distinction between GNU and non-GNU projects.

When your project is accepted into the GNU project you may change its
name.  You can do this by asking us.

In this case, maybe it would be good to rephrase the project name like
"Malayalam Translation of GNU".

> This project is aimed at providing full malaylam support to the GNU
> operating system(s) (GNU/Linux and GNU/Hurd). By full malayalam
> support we mean providing malayalam support to the GNOME GUI as the
> first step,and later moving on to other applications as and when the
> need arises. This project also aims at providing malaylam manuals to
> the GNU operating systems. All the work done under this project will
> be released under the GNU GPL as a means of raising awareness among
> the malayalam speaking community worldwide about the obectives of
> the Free Software Foundation through distribution and sale of the
> manuals we plan to transilate to malayalam.The sale of manuals will
> also help this project sustain itself and also contribute to the
> Free Software Foundation.

Please reply and include an (perhaps temporary) URL pointing to the
source code.  The description you gave when registering will not be
read by the general public.  If you are still concerned with privacy,
however, you can forward the code to me by email.

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at
the beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help catch
potential omissions such as these.

> Other Software Required:
> C,C++,Java,Perl for a start, other libraries required will be
> included on as is needs basis.

You will have to determine whether the Java parts of your project can
run on a Free Software Java suite (see
http://www.gnu.org/software/java/ for more information).

We recommend you to test your project using GCJ and GNU Classpath, and
ensure that your Java code runs on this Free Software Java suite.

GCJ is the GNU Compiler for Java, part of the GCC (GNU Compiler
Collection).  The Classpath project aims to develop a free and portable
implementation of the Java API (the classes in the 'java' package).

More information is available at http://gcc.gnu.org/ and
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/.

Do you accept this commitment?