[Savannah-hackers] Re: Project Metaphysical Specs

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Project Metaphysical Specs
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 16:07:39 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 08:31:50AM +0530, Robert Nediyakalaparambil wrote:
> "Sylvain Beucler"<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
>

> I saw a copy of the "Free Knowledge License" at
> http://web.archive.org/web/20010806202646/www.freeknowledgelicense.org/Free/FKL/fkl.htm
> (the original website appears to be dead), and I see that it is the
> GNU GPL with "Software" replaced by "Knowledge". This license is
> incompatible with the GNU GPL and the GNU FDL and cannot be used at
> Savannah.
>
> We recommand that you release your work under the GNU GPL itself
> (accompagning it with a description of what is "source code" and
> "object code" in your non-software project), or that you use the GNU
> Free Documentation License, which is designed for documentation
> instead of software (used, for example, by the Wikipedia).
>

> Also, please reply and include an (perhaps temporary) URL pointing to
> the some of your work, if any.  The description you gave when
> registering will not be read by the general public.  If you are still
> concerned with privacy, however, you can forward the code to me by
> email.
>
> We wish to review your work, even if it is not functional, to catch
> potential legal issues early.
>
> For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
> include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at
> the beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help catch
> potential omissions such as these.
>

> I wait for your reply.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hi Sylvain,
>
>           Thank you for the reply. First about
> the project. This project is designed to do the
> same as GNU and FSF does for Software to the the
> field of education.
>
>           There are many such projects around
> whose fundamental mission is to bring out open
> source material.

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software movement,
not projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means something pretty
close to Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.  For more
information, please see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.

So we talk about "free materials", not "open source" ones. Please use
the appropriate wording in your work.

>           But this one is about imparting quality
> education in all the subjects under the sun ranging
> from Nursery to Engineering studies, such that it
> can be adopted in the global curriculum easily.
>
>           It will be done from scratch. I'll book
> the domain name shortly. And decided to bring it
> out under the GNU Documentation Licence as it
> proves to be the most effective one that protects
> the interests of man kind.

Since you now use the GNU Free Documentation License, this project
complies with our policies :)

>           In short, once the infrastructure, like
> domain name and webspace is present, a note will
> tell persons of high intelect who are interested
> to join. They have to submit proof of eligibility
> and non-objection from their organizations.
>
>            Once sufficient people are found, with
> a combined effort we can write lessons in different
> subjects. Why you may ask. May be in the USA or
> Europe, quality education is imparted by default.
> Yet a majority of the population have not the
> privillege for proper education. Most of the
> syllabus, is outdated. Thus knowledge can reach
> a wide population and kept free. Another reason
> why this would be good is when for example, you
> feel like studying AeroSpace Engineering, and yet
> are stuck up with Physics in college. Now You still
> have the freedom and choice to study what you need
> to study and what you want to study.
>
>              Right now this is just theory. Once
> this infrastructure is in place, even exminations
> can be conducted for free. It will also aid in the
> development of science and new teaching methods, as
> I hope even nursery teachers, scientists and Students
> will contribute their knowledge, to drive man kind
> into the future.
>
>               The main goal is to achieve unity,
> equality and peace through education. It will lead
> to a renaissance again. And I pledge my full effort
> for this purpose. Knowledge to all irrespective of
> Race and Religion. People will become aware of their
> environment, thus having  chance to protect
> knowledge, and the environment.
>
>                I request the FSF / GNU Community
> to donate a little webspace and whole hearted
> support for this project. All what I said might
> sound weird, but I please consider this proposal.
> I'm waiting for your contact.
>
> Yours sincere
>
> Robert Nediyakalaparambil
>
> My e-mail address has changed to address@hidden .

I have approved your project.  You will receive an automated e-mail
containing detailed information about the approval.

Regards, and good luck with your project,