Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of blackbox - savannah.gnu.org

From: Alaska Subedi
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of blackbox - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 01:59:34 -0400

Hi,

I am reviewing your submission at Savannah.

address@hidden writes:
 > A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
 >

 > marco guardigli <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
 > License: gpl
 > Other License:
 > Package: blackbox
 > System name: blackbox
 > Type: GNU

 > Blackbox is a perl script designed to continuosly collect network traffic
 > from an interface, with specific filter conditions. Traffic is stored in a
 > number of files in tcpdump format.
 > Files are automatically deleted when too old and each file is labeled with
 > start and end time of capture.
 > Collected traffic can be subsequently analyzed using other tools, like
 > tcpdump, tcptrace, ethereal and the like.
 >
 > Blackbox is designed to passively record traffic like a surveillance system,
 > automatically overwriting old tape, and useful to do effective post-event
 > analysis.
 >
 > Blackbox can run on any unix box in which tcpdump or snoop are available. It
 > can also be used on Windows box, alog with winpcap and windump.
 >
 > Other Software Required:
 > libpcap, tcpdump, perl
 >
 > Other Comments:
 > This is my first GPL code submission. I think I will need some guidance and
 > care.

Please provide a URL to the software package.  The description you
gave when registering will not be read by the general public.  If you
are still concerned with privacy, however, you can forward the code to
me by email address@hidden

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at
the beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help catch
potential omissions such as these.

Also, there exist a window manager called BlackBox; this might create
a confusion.You may consider changing the name.

Regards,

Alaska Subedi