[Savannah-hackers] submission of Xadreco, the chess engine. - savannah.g

From: benante
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Xadreco, the chess engine. - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:02:55 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Ruben Carlo Benante <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Xadreco, the chess engine.
System name: xadreco
Type: GNU

Xadreco, the chess engine.

The home page, and source code can be dowloaded at:
http://www.geocities.com/pag_sax/xadreco/

Xadreco is a chess engine that run on your machine and play a game against you,
and it can be used with the front-end XBoard
(http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html)

The project should improve the tactical/strategical play of the engine, include
an opening book and ending book, and what else could lead to a very strong
chess engine playing.

Also, the engine should be used to help you analyze your games, and it should
understand all the XBoard/Winboard communication protocol.

It is one goal of the project to use standard C language, that could compile on
Unix or 32-bit Windows, and so, can be used with XBoard for Unix or WinBoard
for Windows.

Other Software Required:
The source code can be compiled using gcc, with the GNU-DEV-C++ compiler
(http://www.bloodshed.net/).
It was wrote in C language, and the includes used are:
#include <conio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdio.h>

Other Comments:
I would like to ask if it was correct to say, as I said in the source-code, and
if is still a GNU/GPL licence, when I put the sentence:

//If you redistribute it and/or modify it, you need to
//cite the original source-code and author name:
//Ruben Carlo Benante.
//email: address@hidden
//web page: http://www.geocities.com/pag_sax/xadreco/
//address:
//Federal University of Pernambuco
//Center of Computer Science
//PostGrad Room 7-1
//PO Box 7851
//Zip Code 50670-970
//Recife, PE, Brazil
//FAX: +55 (81) 2126-8438
//PHONE: +55 (81) 2126-8430  x.4067

I know that the main objective of the GPL is to protect the freedom of the
programmer, and that the GPL is not against the author. So, I believe that only
to cite the authors name will give some credit to who invented the source code,
even if it was modified. Thank you very much. Ruben.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/