Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Oxygen Oberon-2 Compiler - savannah

From: Alaska Subedi
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Oxygen Oberon-2 Compiler - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:06:31 -0400

address@hidden writes:
 > A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
 >

 > Rob Linwood <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
 > License: gpl
 > Other License:
 > Package: Oxygen Oberon-2 Compiler
 > System name: oxygen
 > Type: GNU

 > Oxygen is going to be a compiler for the programming language Oberon-2, as
 > designed by Niklaus Wirth.  Currently, Oxygen consists of a scanner and
 > parser, which parse Oberon-2 source code into a syntax tree.  The goal is to
 > use the GCC backend; this will require conversion of the internal syntax
 > tree into GCC's tree format, plus a driver program, lots of code, and lots
 > more testing.  Ideally, Oxygen will have a full library (the Oberon-2
 > standard does not have much of a run-time library, although there is an
 > ad-hoc standard, which is also fairly minimal), a convenient FFI (foreign
 > function interface - the ability to call functions and methods written in
 > other languages) for C at the very least (Oberon-2 types like INTEGER and
 > REAL will map directly to C types where possible) and C++ and Java if it
 > proves feasible.  Oberon-2 will also require garbage collection, probably
 > using the Boehm garbage collector.  Oberon-2 is, I think, a better language
 > than C, with many of
 > C's strengths (small language, small runtime, access to bare-metal, bit
 > shifting operations, compilation to native code) with many advantages or
 > newer languages like Java (strong typing, pre-compiled interfaces (akin to
 > C's header files), extensible object orientation, automatic memory
 > management).
 >
 > Oxygen is a long-term project.  I do not expect a real, working release (ie,
 > a compiler) for some time.
 >
 > The current source snapshot is at
 > http://sparkle.yhbt.org/~rob/oxygen-src.tar.gz
 >
 > Other Software Required:
 > Oxygen requires slightly more than the standard development toolchain (GCC,
 > binutils, make), namely flex and GNU bison.
 >
 > Other Comments:

The source files lack appropriate copyright and permission-to-copy
notices. All file more than 10 lines should have such notices. For
more information please see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html
and
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html#Copyright-Notices.

Also, for your project to be accepted as GNU project, the GNU
evaluation has to approve your project.

Please address the issue of notices and we will approve your project
as non-GNU. We will also forward your project to evaluation team after
your project has been approved as non-GNU.

Regards,

Alaska Subedi