Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of VSTa Operating System - savannah.no

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of VSTa Operating System - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:46:56 +0200

Hi,

Just a comment:

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 03:53:51PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> >> Ok, so a GPL operating system using GPL (or BSD, or some public domain)
> >> tools and programs violates this in what way?
> > Free Software movement's
> >primary goal is to fight for the ideal that information and knowledge --
> >in this case source code -- should be allowed to move and shared freely.
> >Savannah tries to provide a place and useful tools for development of
> >free software for people who support this cause.
>
> Since my OS is GPL (and I'm one of those rare engineers who has actually
> read the license), there should have been no conflict here.  My source was
> both open and (by way of the GPL) free.
>
> Understand that my hosting is settled; I'm now merely trying to become
> informed so that any other open source/free software activities I may
> influence in the future can reflect some lack of understanding I fear I may
> still labor under on this philosophical front.

Our main concern was to distinguish the concepts of 'free software'
and 'open source'. The movements are different, but have different
goals, which is described at
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

At Savannah, we support the Free Software movement; since you used the
term "open source" in your description, we it to you.

Both movements use a similar set of licenses, abeilt some "open
source" licenses were not acceptable for us. mBSD and GNU (L)GPL,
among others, qualify both as free software and open source licenses.

I hope it is clearer now :)