Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of XSed - a Tutor for Sed and Regular

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of XSed - a Tutor for Sed and Regular Expre - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:22:19 +0100

> guntherheppner <address@hidden> described the project as
> follows:
> Licence: gpl
> Package: XSed - a Tutor for Sed and Regular Expre
> System name: xsed
> Type: GNU

> Recently i finished my master in computer science. The project i was
> involved was about a tutor program for Regular Expressions and Sed.
> Basically i used the original GNU Sed source code and put a
> graphical user interface on top of it using GTK. The software was
> developed on Debian Linux.

"Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system that we like to
refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize the ideals of the Free Software
movement.

Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS to GNU/Linux?

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.

> Now me and my former supervisor are interested in a further
> improvement and development of the project. i also think it could
> become a quite useful tool for people who start using Sed and
> Regular Expressions for text editing. GNU would be a good platform
> to publish the software.
>
> Unfortunately i have no possibility at the moment to put the source
> code on a server. But i can send you the code by email.
> There shouldn't be any dependencies to non free software as the
> project is only based on GNU Sed 3.02 and Gtk 1.2 (Gimp Tool Kit) or
> higher.
> Please let me know where i can send the source code. My email is
> address@hidden

You can forward the code to me by email (address@hidden).

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at the
beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help
catch potential omissions such as these.

> Software dependencies:
> GNU Sed 3.02
> Gtk 1.2 or higher

The dependencies are fine indeed :)