Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of OpenIRC - savannah.gnu.org

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of OpenIRC - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:22:17 +0100

> Carl Goyette <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Package: OpenIRC
> System name: openirc
> Type: GNU

> OpenIRC, OpenSource IRC Client For GTK2 With Emoticon, sound file
> [WAV,MP3,OGG,...], Support Picture BMP,JPG,PNG,TIFF,GIF, ...] and
> support mirc script, and more
>
> Library Required : GTK2, FFMPEG
> Optional Library : OpenSSL
>

> Other Software Required:
> http://www.openssl.org
> http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net
> http://www.gtk.org

Savannah's mission is to host free software projects, and we want the
public to think of them as free software projects.  A project name that
says "open" will tend to lead people to think of the project as "open
source" instead of "free software".

Savannah supports projects of the Free Software movement, not projects
of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means
something pretty close to Free Software, it's frequently
misunderstood.  For more information, please see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.

We would be glad if you accept to use "free" instead of "open" in your
project name.

Also, please reply and include a (perhaps temporary) URL pointing to
the source code.  The description you gave when registering will not
be read by the general public.  If you are still concerned with
privacy, however, you can forward the code to me by email
(address@hidden).

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at the
beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help
catch potential omissions such as these.

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide
us with an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we
will reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.