[Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden: Re: [gnu.org #215181] GNU GPL plu

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden: Re: [gnu.org #215181] GNU GPL plug-in for Eclipse]
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:29:03 +0000

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 01:44, address@hidden via RT wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 20:34 -0500, address@hidden via RT
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 00:29, address@hidden via RT wrote:

> > > The LGPL will (although note that this compatibility doesn't work when
> > > linked to Eclipse).
> > >
> > So, it looks like the LGPL is out too, in that case, as the project is
> > an Eclipse plug-in.  What are the differences between our current
> > license (the GPL) and the Eclipse license, and what would we lose by
> > having to make the move to EPL?
>
> The major difference is the patent language in the EPL.  We don't
> necessarily think it's a bad idea, but it's not compatible with the
> current GPL.
>
> I suppose you could dual-license: GPL + EPL.  It wouldn't allow GPL code
> to be linked in when your code was linked with Eclipse, but it would
> allow portions of your code to be transplanted into other software.

This sounds the best option then, especially as it allows us to retain
our project on Savannah.  How do we go about doing this, both legally
and practically?  I take it we still need a separate project for the
dual-licensed editor sub-project?

--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint) attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known --
Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner