Re: [Savannah-hackers] file-cache not working anymore

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] file-cache not working anymore
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:35:03 +0100

>     As far as I remember it was a wrong setting in CVS just after the
>     compromise. I wasn't a Savannah hacker at that time. Apparently all
>     commits during a few days got uidXXXX instead of the actual
>     username. I do not know why exactly, all what I have is this ChangeLog
> entry:
>
> Can one of you possibly write a script that will correct those
> records, replacing uidXXXX with the real user names?
>
> (Please respond to that question.)

It is be possible to find the real user name, except in the few cases
where that user was deleted (at user request, for example).

However I am worried about breaking the RCS data using a script, which
may be unnoticed for a long while.

I checked for some RCS parsers; rcs(1) does not permit to change the
author name, and the various parsers from the CPAN are rather meant
for reading than editing RCS files, when they're not beta.

I'll post a question to address@hidden

(Incidentally, this mailing list is certainly why I once thought CVS
was a GNU package).