[Savannah-hackers] submission of texi2latex -- convert Texinfo to LaTeX

From: bronger
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of texi2latex -- convert Texinfo to LaTeX - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:11:22 -0500

This mail was sent to address@hidden,
address@hidden

Torsten Bronger <address@hidden> described the package as
follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: texi2latex -- convert Texinfo to LaTeX
System name: texi2latex
Type: non-GNU

A program that transforms Texinfo documentation to the LaTeX format.  For
this, the native XML output of makeinfo is taken and transformed to LaTeX
using XSLT.  There are three possible ways: 1. direct transformation, 2.
transformation to tbook (http://tbookdtd.sf.net) which can be transformed
to good LaTeX, and 3. not using XSLT at all but C, C++, or Flex.  I want
to implement the direct approach first, and the others only if the direct
approach is unsuitable for certain situations.    Some things, eg a
program that converts Unicodes to LaTeX commands, would be taken from the
tbook project.  It may be necessary to add further small programs in
compilable languages, e.g. for parsing the Texinfo formula syntax to LaTeX
or MathML (not necessary for the direct approach).  All will be kept
together by main program written in a compilable or scripting language for
doing the complete conversion, including bitmap format transformation.

Other Software Required:
An XSLT implementation.  I use Saxon for my own purposes, but I will write
XSLT code that is independent from a certain XSLT processor.

ImageMagick.

Other Comments:
As said, I will use code and tools from the tbook XML system.  I am the
copyright holder of tbook, so I can double-licence it if necessary.
(However, tbook itself is open source software too, under the terms of the
Artistic Licence 2.0.)

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/