[Savannah-help-public] Re: [support #103845] dominion ftp area not appea

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Re: [support #103845] dominion ftp area not appearing
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:00:35 +0100

Hi,

First, I see that dominion in not registered as a GNU project at
fencepost. Could you contact address@hidden to "regularize" your
situation? :) This will ease future requests.

>     Sylvain> Where did you upload the files? You have 2 download
>     Sylvain> areas, Savannah's, and ftp.gnu.org's. None of them have
>     Sylvain> your files though. Note that you do not have a GPG key
>     Sylvain> registered at Savannah.
>
> I followed this procedure:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?group_id=5802&question=How_do_I_add_files_in_the_download_area.txt
>
> and now I have also put the .sig file, which I had not put the first
> time.  So now the tarball and .sig file are both there.  I used the
> ncftpput command:
>
> ncftpput savannah.gnu.org /incoming/savannah/dominion/ dominion-2.8.1.tar.gz*
>
> which gave feedback that the tarball was already in that directory.
>
> Also, I have just registered my GPG key on Savannah.  Maybe now all
> will go well.

You will be able to upload to Savannah's upload area, but not to
ftp.gnu.org.

As a GNU project, you have 2 download areas: Savannah's
(sv.gnu.org/download/dominion/), and the one at ftp.gnu.org, which is
not managed through Savannah, nor by the Savannah hackers.

>     Sylvain> I think that you tried to upload files using the Savannah
>     Sylvain> system, instead of ftp.gnu.org's. Check
>     Sylvain>
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Automated-Upload-Procedure.html
>     Sylvain> to see if you upload your files correctly to ftp.gnu.org.
>
> I'm not sure what this page is about.  I'll look at it.  I'd like to
> just do what the Savannah project page and its docs recommend, rather
> than figuring out more procedures.  What do you think?  Should I?  I
> am also confused by the fact that you differentiate between the
> "Savannah system" and ftp.gnu.org.  Is there a document describing
> that difference?

The document is part of the Information for Maintainers of GNU
Software. All GNU maintainers should have read it (I did :))

Well, usually people are directed to it during the GNU approval
process; as I can see in the dominion registration description, RMS
dubbed it a GNU package directly, so maybe that's why you didn't see
it yet.

The difference is documented at
https://savannah.gnu.org/project/admin/?group=dominion (in the
bottom).

> Sorry for all the questions!
>
> And finally, a tip: right now a project that does not have some
> auxiliary pages yields many 404 errors, which is not cool.  It would
> be nice if there were some default page that says something like
> "dude, the project maintainer has not yet put up a project home page;
> he can go to <insert URL here> to find out about setting one up".

That's in our tasks list :)