Re: [Savannah-help-public] Firewalls

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Firewalls
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:10:06 +0100

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 08:48:44PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> People suggest setting up another IP address and and making SSH listen
> on port 80 (whatever is the usual HTTP port) on that address.  They say
> this would enable people to bypass most nasty firewalls.
>
> Are we already doing this?  If not, what do you think of the idea?

The person replied that would not help, because apparently the problem
is not so much the firewall, but rather the use of a proxy to access
the WWW.

He then said he did a web interface to allow people to upload files
via the proxy instead of via FTP, which simply cannot be applied to
something as complex as CVS.

Eventually, the rationale is that if system administrators consider
outgoing CVS traffic as a danger, there's nothing we can do to bypass
this.