Re: [Savannah-help-public] help

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] help
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:55:53 +0100

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. The mail got caught in the Mailman queue because
it though "help" might be some administrativia to register to the
list.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 10:17:59PM +0800, shudan75 wrote:
>    I am new to SSH, I am using Redhat9.0.
>
>    1. Under what conditions should I add a line of `Protocol 2' into
> ~/.ssh/config or a line of `Protocol 1,2' ?

For your system, I don't think this is needed.  You can use "Protocol
2" it when you think your SSH client will try to make a SSHv1
connection by default. You can also use "Protocol 2" to avoid a
man-in-the-middle attack that tries to move the connection from
protocol 2 to protocol 1 during its establishment (since v1 has some
flaws and is more easily crackable).

I don't think there is any use for "Protocol 1,2".

> 2. The id_dsa.pub has some head and tail beside the body of public
> key, shall I copy the whole text into the field or only the body?

https://savannah.gnu.org/account/editsshkeys.php documents this - you
need to copy the whole key.

> There are several entries may be filled, does that mean I may
> generate several keys stored as id_dsax.pub alike and must not
> delete each of them?

You can publish several public keys, which is often needed when you
connected from multiple locations.
You can delete them when you do not use that key pair anymore.

>    3. Third, when I try to cvs, it reports `the authenticity of host
> subversions.gnu.org cannot be established, RSA key fingerprint is
> 80:5a:b0:0c:ec:93:66:29:49:7e:04:2b:fd:ba:2c:d5', What am I wrong here. Why
> RSA here? Didnot we use dsa?

This is the RSA fingerprint of the Savannah site-wide server key. It
is used to verify that the site you are connecting to is well GNU
Savannah, and not a fake website.

> Besides, I upload my project file and .sig file to
> savannah.gnu.org/incoming/savannah/chendct, why cannot I see them on
> download area(file list)?

I can't tell without more information. Would you mind sending us a
small file along with its signature, so we can perform tests?