Re: [Savannah-help-public] CVS access at Savannah under AmigaOS

From: Olaf Barthel
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] CVS access at Savannah under AmigaOS
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:37:32 +0100

Werner LEMBERG schrieb:
We do not accept protocol 1 at Savannah (it's now weak), only
protocol 2.

That's a pity.  AFAIK, there is no CVS port to AmigaOS which supports
protocol 2, only 1.5 -- note that the port contains a built-in,
stripped-down ssh client, thus :ext: doesn't work (you have to use the
:server: tag instead).

Jens, Olaf, are there any plans to add ssh2 support to your port?

Not yet. The problem which the built-in SSH1 client solves still exists: there is no working general pipe support available to all AmigaOS versions. If it existed, then the SSH client of your choice could be "plugged in", so to speak, through "setenv CVS_RSH mumble" and the :ext: server access method.

Finding a suitable SSH2 implementation and integrating it into the Amiga CVS port is difficult. While there is a promising solution in SSHDOS, the porting of the original SSH1 client, then part of SSHDOS, was rather painful, so I expect that porting the SSH2 client will be be just as unpleasant.

I understand the need to replace the SSH1 client software, so a solution will have to be found to get SSH2 support into the Amiga CVS client. I expect to find some time around the Christmas holidays this year to look into the matter. Upgrading the CVS port to use a more recent CVS code base wouldn't be a bad idea either.

--
Home: Olaf Barthel, Gneisenaustrasse 43, D-31275 Lehrte
 Net: address@hidden (Home), address@hidden (Work)