[Savannah-help-public] Re: [sr #103933] Cleaning up mailing list archive

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:19:01 +0100

Hi Karl,

* Karl Berry wrote on Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 10:46:51PM CET:

>     gmane has a nice method of both weeding spam, regularly regenerating
>     article numbers in order (at long intervals) but still also
>     preserving old URLs.  I don't know how appropriate this external
>     resource may be for the GNU project, but its features have made me
>     use its links.
>
> I think gmane is great, but don't see how it'll help with the mailman
> archives?

It doesn't (unless someone takes the effort to port its feature to
mailman, or a similar way you outlined).  But since it's just as easy
to search gmane for older stuff, and their archives are pretty good
wrt. spam, it's more important to me to keep existing pointers to the
mailman archives working rather than having _them_ also cleaned.
Broken URLs have cost too much work already.

Cheers,
Ralf