[Savannah-help-public] [sr #105163] cvs fails to recognise modified file

From: Thomas D
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #105163] cvs fails to recognise modified files sending to tag on Savannah
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 03:37:35 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
        Platform Version: GNU/Linux
             Open/Closed: Open

Details:

A set of cvs command arguments work for committing a single modified file in
a checkout directory to a release tag for a local copy of a Savannah project
obtained using rsync.  The same command arguments would lead to a great many
files being committed to the Savannah CVS archive when only one was modified.
 There is no problem committing to HEAD on Savannah without specifying a
release tag.

What could be the problem causing cvs to fail to recognise what files were
modified correctly when committing to Savannah?  If it works for a local cvs
repository, it should work identically for Savannah should it not?

Scripts to reproduce the problem below.  Yes, I am using separate directories
for the checkouts.  Yes, I purged everything and started over when I saw the
problem.  Paths are presumed present.  My system is Debian GNU/Linux testing
(etch).

----------------------
grabkoha.sh

#!/bin/sh
sudo rsync -av cvs.savannah.gnu.org::sources/koha/ $HOME/kohatest/koharoot
# Thank you for rsync support Savannah team.
# My local viewcvs can be fully up to date even when Savannah is behind.
sudo chgrp -R src $HOME/kohatest/koharoot
sudo chmod -R 775 $HOME/kohatest/koharoot
sudo rm -R /var/lib/cvs/koha
# This could use cpio or rsync here but this is absolutely reliable even
# if it takes a little longer.
sudo cp -R $HOME/kohatest/koharoot/koha /var/lib/cvs/koha
sudo chmod -R 775 /var/lib/cvs/koha
cd $HOME/kohatest/checkout/rel_2_2/localcvs
cvs -z3 -d /var/lib/cvs update -r rel_2_2 koha
cd $HOME/kohatest/checkout/rel_2_2/cvs
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/koha co -r
rel_2_2 koha
$HOME/kohatest/checkout/HEAD/cvs
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/koha co koha

----------------------
Modify one file in each checkout directory.

----------------------
commkoha.sh

#!/bin/sh
cd $HOME/kohatest/checkout/rel_2_2/localcvs
cvs -z3 -d /var/lib/cvs commit $Log -r rel_2_2 koha
# one modified file would be committed.
cd $HOME/kohatest/checkout/rel_2_2/cvs
cvs -z3 -d address@hidden:/sources/koha commit $Log -r rel_2_2
koha
# many files would be committed even though only one had been modified.
Why?
cd $HOME/kohatest/checkout/HEAD/cvs
cvs -z3 -d address@hidden:/sources/koha commit $Log koha
# one modified file would be committed.