[Savannah-help-public] A question about project naming

From: Novastate
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] A question about project naming
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:56:09 -0800

Hello,

I'm planning a project and had a question about the name. I planned to call it GNUPPCSE, which would stand for "GNU Pay Per Click Search Engine" (Pronounced Guh-NOOP-See). It will be developed under the GPL license and I didn't want to give it an "open source" sounding name, so I planned to use the "GNU" moniker instead. I wanted to make it known in the name that this project is developed in the spirit of the GNU system and FSF philosophies of "free software" rather than simply "open source".

I did want to ask someone whether using "GNU" in a project's name is acceptable, though, since this project isn't internal to the GNU organization. I wasn't quite clear on that or if a distinction must be made. My project will be 100% free software, though, as described by the GPL, GNU and FSF.

Anyway, if you need any further information feel free to contact me. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Steve Monsen
address@hidden