[Savannah-help-public] RE: groff mailing list problems

From: Ted Harding
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:12:53 -0000 (GMT)

On 23-Jan-07 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Dear admins,
>

> I've a problem with spam mails.  Ted's address is abused for that, and
> mails like the attached one is passed through to the groff mailing
> list (without contents, fortunately).
>
> What can I do to prevent this?
>

>     Werner

Hi all (Cc: Werner)

This abuse is continuing, and the stream is intensifying.

I have thought of unsubscribing from the list, and re-subscribing
under a different email address.

Normally, this should have the effect of blocking mail which
arrives with a spoofed "From:" address claimiong to be my
currently subscribed address address@hidden

However, I see from very old emails (29 Aug 1999, when the old
bug-groff list was closed, and moved to a new address):

   "I received the following (appended). Does this mean
    that the bug-groff list is now closed and that all
    former members have been removed (as I have been) and
    subscribed to another list? [Ted Harding]

   "This was intentional -- I have had exactly the same
    question and have asked for the reason.  Answer: Because
    we are the groff maintainers, we always get mails sent
    to bug-groff without being subscribed. [Werner Lemberg]"

Does this mean that unsubscribing my current email address,
and changing to a different one, would have no effect?

And, also, would making such a change have knock-on effects
in the GNU database (of maintainers etc.)? I imagine it
probably would!

Please let me know!

With thanks,
Ted.