[Savannah-help-public] [sr #105871] How do I change the License of a pro

From: John Doe
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #105871] How do I change the License of a project?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 21:43:44 +0000

fre, 25 05 2007 kl. 21:30 +0000, skrev Sylvain Beucler:

> > copyright 1991, all rights reserved.
> > You can use this code as long as my name stays with it.
> >
> > (This seems incompatible to me).
>
> Hmmm, yes, unfortunately. "Keeping the name" is compatible (you must
> reproduce the copyright notices anyway, as stated in the GNU GPL) - but
the
> author only say "use" which is vague. It should be "use, modify and
> distribute" :/

I guess I'll drop that piece of code, if I am unable to get in contact with
the author.

> > Copyright (C) 2002 Piotr Kucharski
> > BSD licence applies. Yeah!
>
> Indeed that's ambiguous.
>
> But well, http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/license.html says that in 1999
UCB
> made a global license change from original BSD to modified BSD. This code
from
> 2002 is not precising exactly which BSD license it sues so arguably this
can
> be interpreted at "modified BSD".
> Contacting the author won't hurt though.

I'll try to find his email and write him a note that if he doesn't object,
I'll assume hes reffering to the modified license.

There is another problem though .. not all files have a copyright notice.
Esp. some of the .h files, and the text-files doesn't.  There is a README
that says this though: (irc2.11.1p1/doc/README)

      Other files of interest:

      LICENSE           - license agreement
      ChangeLog         - log of source changes

The LICENSE file is the GPLv1.

> When you combine several pieces of code released under different licenses
> create a "combined" (or "derived") work, all licenses need to be
compatible
> between each others.

So, if its all GPL and BSD-modified I should be fine, I guess.  What will the
copyright of my project be?  I guess if I change the file with the
BSD-copyright, I'll have to make my changes to that file available under the
BSD-license, while my changes to the GPL files will be under the GPLv2 or
later. (Will change it to V3 when that comes out).

> The GNU project maintains a list of licenses and their compatibility with
the
> GNU GPL, check http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html for details.

I'll check that out, if I encounter other licenses.  I hope I have them all
covered now though.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?105871>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/