Re: [Savannah-help-public] Multiple git repos

From: Frederik Deweerdt
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Multiple git repos
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 14:00:10 +0200

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:01:01PM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> [Jim: I've got a question for you below]
>
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 02:51:16PM +0200, Frederik Deweerdt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We're considering moving several CVS modules of TSP
> > (http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tsp/) to git. However, we'd like
> > to keep the distantly related modules available separtely. This doesn't
> > seem possible with one git repo only.
> > Is it possible to have several git repos for one project?
>
> We planned to add multiple repositories support, but currently that
> cannot be done automatically, so we'll have to do that manually. If
> you can contribute a patch to
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/p/savane-cleanup that'd be great.
I'll have  a look at that. I'm not familiar with the code base
though. From what I could see, I'd need to modify frontend/git/index.php,
Group.class and the database structure to add a table of git projects. Any
thoughts?
> Else you can tell us the list if names of the repositories we'll create under
> /srv/git/tsp/.
Could you create dlock and dadi at the moment?

> Jim, just to be sure: do you think they need several repositories, or
> could they use different branches/entry points with the same result?
> In principle you can push your original import to another branch than
> "master", can't you?
That suggestion was made when discussing module support for git
apparently. It should work but I'm afraid this would confuse users.

Thanks,
Frederik