Re: [Savannah-help-public] CVS versus SVN

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] CVS versus SVN
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:23:21 +0200

David Hill wrote:

> I understand that projects can use Subversion (SVN) instead of CVS

Projects can use whatever VCS supported by Savannah they wish (which
currently means CVS, Subversion, GNU Arch, Git and Mercurial -- GNU
Bzr is in testing phase and not yet officially supported).

> direct me to some savannah support information on the conversion and
> relative merits.

There are several conversion tools available, and you should be able
to "svn import" your project.  Right, Sylvain?   (Failing that, I
guess that a Support request would do.)

> What is the official (savannah-hackers) view on the use of SVN?

TTBOMK the Savannah Hackers don't take a specific position wrt various
VCSes as it is a sensitive subject.  Any VCS that is supported by GNU
Savannah should be fully functional; the choice is yours.

> I noticed that the GNUStep repository seems to have moved to SVN.

That was years ago, and they moved to Gna! (a different site that also
uses Savane), because at that time there was no Subversion support
here.

Disclaimer: I am not a Savannah hacker, so please wait for a response
from an authoritative person.