[Savannah-help-public] Fwd: [task #8806] Submission of PHP Binding for S

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Fwd: [task #8806] Submission of PHP Binding for SDL
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:33:38 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: dimitri.giardina <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:43 PM
Subject: [task #8806] Submission of PHP Binding for SDL
To: Nicodemo Alvaro <address@hidden>

>can i ask you something?
Sure, but I am going to forward this message to the others. I probably
don't know the answer.

>>Follow-up Comment #1, task #8806 (project administration):
>>I am not sure I understand. Your application claims this is
>> Official GNU Software, it needs more info, and the link
>> does not contain a tarball.

> 1) savannah musts.
> i've to send a link to my source?
Yes. If you have it, I understand it helps. You sent a link to
google?! But it sounds like you are forking, so that might be enough
if the copyright holders allow this.

> 2) developing question

> i've written an email to the "project manager" of a project that is
> "dead" (?, activity stopped in 2002..., i think it's dead, or probably
> it lack of interest). he offer me that to "join our efforts" ... (?). he
> told me that i can "fork" his project.

We might have to get public permission or I guess we could trust you
that you did, and let you fork it
I believe that it is complicated more when the

> the phrase: "You can also start a fork, obviously. But I think is better
> to join our efforts.".

"To join our efforts" would mean be part of our team, which according
to you the old php-sdl project is inactive. So I don't know how that
would work.

> 3) license question

>> The licensing FAQ explains that using the GPL does not make it
>> official GNU software [1].

> i've a code that use SDL (LGPL license) API, and PHP/Zend (PHP License,
> esotic?) API. only the API, not the source. can i write my code in GPL
> (or another license)?

You misunderstood what Official GNU software is. If it was Official
GNU Software, your project would be owned by the GNU Project. You know
the projects make up the GNU Operating System like 'ls' and 'make'.
They would call your project GNU PHP-SDL if it were official.

Now you have to give links to all those projects that your project
depends on and what license they use. I am not sure about what you
mean by API.
--
I am not into law.