[Savannah-help-public] [sr #106712] accepting follow-ups by email

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #106712] accepting follow-ups by email
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:51:26 +0000

Right, we could devise some reasonable format for the messages and I guess
that would exclude the spam.  We don't need nearly all the bells and whistles
that debbugs has -- it would be very useful just to be able to send a reply,
like "Post a Comment" in the web interface.

I'm not worried about difficulty of composition.  If people want to do it
(like me :), they'll make it easy for themselves anyway.

The problem that comes to my mind is about authenticating the sender.  The
web interface automatically knows what user is doing the posting.  An email
interface wouldn't have a clue.  I don't know how debbugs handles this or if
they just accept mail from anyone for anything.

So here's my idea on that front -- we could require the messages to be
gpg-signed, and also to provide the savannah username.  Then the processor
could gpg-decode them according to that user's gpg key.  If it works, good, if
not, too bad.

FWIW, I've written many programs for autoprocessing email.  That's the easy
part.  But I remain totally stuck on how it could be integrated into
savannah.

Thanks for thinking about it with me :).

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106712>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/